About The Maltings
A brief history
The Maltings was built in 1868 as part of Ebenezer William Harlock’s brewery complex on Ely’s Waterside, where locally grown Barley was processed into Malt for brewing. The hall was originally three separately floors, where Barley was added to water, and then stored on the first and second floors, before being passed to the drying kiln, which is now home to the Stage. The Building passed through various ownerships, including the ‘Steward and Patteson (Ely) LTD’ company in 1961, who were later absorbed by Watney Mann (East Anglia) LTD. In 1971, the building was made available to the ‘City of Ely Urban District Council’ for a minimal cost, who converted it into the public hall. Original Stewart and Patteson pub signs for the Glazier’s Arms and The Montagu Arms still reside within the building. The building was operated by Leith’s (Compass Group) from 2009 until September 2014, when City of Ely Council obtained the lease from East Cambridgeshire District Council. The Restaurant area was separated from the rest of the building, and is now home to Ta Bouche. The Maltings building itself soon returned to operation as the venue you see today, and continues to grow its activities.